Who we are?
Didi Baini Samaj Victoria (DBSV), was formed in 2012 by a group of strong active Nepalese women who are committed to lobbying for a better world for women in Nepal and Australia. The name of the incorporated organization is ‘Didi Bahini Samaj, Victoria’, abbreviated as DBSV. DBSV is the duly registered women-led organization. It is registered on the date Oct 2012; under the status of Organization of incorporation Act 1981.
What we believe in
The purpose of Didi Bahini Samaj Victoria (DBSV) as a Nepalese women’s organisation in Victoria, Australia is to advance, promote and empower women’s rights to live with dignity and respect in a diverse cultural setting. These purposes will be achieved by:
- Providing a common forum for Nepalese women to discuss issues relating to women’s lives and strengthening support networks through discussions, celebrations, programs, activities and advocacy, including forums where ideas, knowledge, skills, and experiences are shared.
- Developing women’s leadership skills.
- Promoting Nepali culture and celebrating cultural events.
- Establishing support systems and networks within Nepalese and other multicultural communities in Victoria.
- Advocating for women and women’s related issues.
- Establishing partnerships with government and non-government organizations to improve quality of women’s lives.
- Encouraging an environment for women to talk about Family violence (Information sharing, capacity building) and raising issues concerning family violence within multicultural communities
- Designing and conducting innovative programs that promote women’s wellbeing.
- Empowerment of women where women and girls are empowered Didi Bahini Samaj Victoria (DBSV) seeks to empower women and girls and aim for gender equality and eradication of all forms of discrimination and promote participation of women in social, economic, cultural and other developmental activities to improve women’s quality of life, where women participate in the development processes. This includes advancing and promoting women’s rights to live with dignity and respect in a diverse cultural setting.
- Didi Bahini Samaj Victoria (DBSV) recognises that dignity, equal worth and encouraging self-esteem is necessary for all women. Didi Bahini Samaj Victoria (DBSV) follows social justice principles that refer to values that aim at decreasing or eliminating inequity; promoting inclusiveness of diversity; and establishing environments that are supportive of all people.
Didi Bahini Samaj Victoria (DBSV) embrace social justice principles that include: equity, diversity and supportive environments.
i. Equity means that resources are allocated in accordance with the needs of individuals and populations with the desired goal of equality of outcomes.
ii. Diversity refers to the differences that exist between individuals and people groups. A diverse cultural society, which requires a number of measures to be in place to ensure each people group within our diversity has access to basic needs.
iii. Encourage environments where people live, work and spend their lives and are protected from threats related to violence, inequality, and social, gender discrimination, and that is conducive for health, employment, social integration and acculturation.
- Encouraging involvement of men and family to attend forum and programs, cultural activities on various aspects.